Ragi dosa / Toor dal dosa / Ragi toor dal dosa / Toor dal ragi dosa

Finger millet (Ragi) dosa , Kandi pappu dosa , ragi toor dal dosa, how to make ragi dosa with toor dal :


I have heard about many versions of ragi dosa but this one is something different. I came across this recipe in an old book that I had obtained from a nearby library. This is very healthy and protein rich dish as it includes Kandi Pappu ( toor dal ) in it. And of course, the benefits and nutritious values of ragi ( finger millet ) cannot be overlooked. Finger millet is very rich in calcium and was a staple diet of our grandfathers and great grandfaters.


Of late, I have started including this ragi into my family's diet, but somehow my man does not like it. I could not just omit it considering the health benefits it has. So I started including it like a secret ingredient in many of the dishes. But I was got caught because of its colour. The first ragi dish which was liked by my man was the ragi chocklate cake which I would be posting very soon. Henceforth, I have decided to try many other variations to include ragi in our diet. When I tried this dosa, I was a bit apprehensive about it, but it was approved by him and by my kids loved it. So this is a recipe to keep and try as often as possible. 


Now, coming  to ragi toor dal dosa, this does not require any fermentation. It can be prepared instantly as soon as the batter is ready. This is very easy to prepare and does not take much time and of course yummy too. Lets get straight to the recipe.

Preparation :


Soak ragi and toor dal separately in different bowls for 4-5 hours. If you are planning to prepare this for dinner , you can soak them in the afternoon. If you are planning to prepare for breakfast, you can soak them overnight.


Once soaked, strain the water and grind ragi and toor dal in a mixer with green chillies, ginger, cumin seeds and salt.


Once a smooth batter is formed add tomatoes and grind once again.


Take this batter in a bowl and it is ready to prepare dosas.


Heat the pan. When it is sizzling hot take a ladle full of batter and put it in the centre of the pan. Spread it to the sides in a circular motion with the ladle. A thin dosa will be formed.


Add finely chopped onions and apply oil around the dosa.


Once roasted, flip to the other side and roast once again.


After a minute or two, your finger millet and toor dal dosa is ready to be served hot. This can be served with any chutney. I have served it with spicy tomato chutney.  My Pari is not ready to wait for me to complete the photo session. This is the second time that she is having this dosa and she fell in love with it.




Ingredients :


Finger millet 1 cup
Toor dal 1.5 cups
Cumin seeds 2 tsp
Green chillies 4
Ginger 1"piece
Salt to taste
Tomato 1 medium
Onion 1 finely chopped
Oil to sprinkle on dosas

Method

  1. Soak finger millet and toor dal for 5 hours or overnight.
  2. Strain the water and grind finger millet and toor dal in a mixer along with cumin seeds, green chillies, ginger and salt. Add tomato and make a smooth batter.
  3. Heat a pan and when it is sizzling hot, spread the batter as a dosa and sprinkle finely chopped onions and put oil around the dosa.
  4. Flip to the other side and roast the other side as well.
  5. Remove onto a plate and serve hot with any chutney or sambar of your choice.

Notes :

You can do a tempering for the batter with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and some dry red chillies for extra flavouring.

No comments:

Post a Comment