undrallu for vinayaka chavithi



Undrallu for Vinayaka Chaturthi / Undrallu recipe for Ganesha Chaturthi



andhra undrallu recipe


Another 9 days to go for Vinayaka Chavithi - 25th August 2017. I am posting the most important and basic dish for this famous Ganesha festival - Undrallu ( Rice flour balls ). These undrallu or rice flour balls are made with rice flour. These balls are then
pampered with different sauces to make an amazing sweet dish which is loved by Lord Ganesha. 

Vinayak Chavithi or Ganesha festival is one of the famous festivals in India. Everybody enjoy this festival with al their friends and relatives. The one thing that makes this festival different from the others is the uniqueness in making the naivedhyam for Lord Ganesha. Lord Ganesha loves to eat modak, undrallu, kudumulu, kheer ( payasam ), appalu amongst many other dishes.

undrallu recipe with rice flour

In this post, I will describe how to make the undrallu. I have very fond memories associated with Lord Ganesha Chathurthi festival from my childhood days. I remember getting up early in the morning along with my mom, getting ready quickly and wearing a new dress. Later my mother got busy with the cooking while me and my brothers used to prepare the mandap for Lord Ganesha with the help of dad. After a little while, my mom calls me and gives me the task of giving shapes to the rice flour dough. I thoroughly enjoyed the work. Now when I have kids, I want to pass on the same custom to my kids and do the same with them. Last year, I gave the task of rounding the balls to my daughter who was 7 years old. This year, my son joined as well who is just 6 years old. They give such perfect shapes to the dough that I am truly amazed. One cheer to my kids who helped me immensely. And my man was busy with decorating the mandap.

vinayaka chavithi undrallu making

Now, back to our recipe of undrallu. Undrallu is very easy to make and in no time. This undrallu - the most favourite of Lord Vinayaka can also be made with store bought rice flour. It always suggested to use fresh homemade rice flour to get the best results.

Preparation


Measure the rice flour and keep it ready. Take water in a vessel and put it on flame.


Bring it to a boil.


When it is boiling vigorously, add the rice flour and reduce the flame immediately.


Stir the dough quickly and fast such that the dough mixes well.


Switch off the flame. Cover with a lid and allow it to cool.


When it is warm or cool, mix the dough very well once again. Now wet your palm


and take a small or tiny portion of the dough


and give shape. Whenever you feel that the dough is becoming sticky, just wet your hands with water and start the process of rounding the balls. Repeat the same with the remaining dough until it is finished completely. Proceed to the sauces recipes for the pampering of the undrallu.  Paala Undrallu , Pappu Undrallu , Nuvvula Undrallu . My Ganesha is all ready for the treat.......

ganesh chaturthi undrallu recipe

Next, we have to pamper these balls in a yummy sauce. There are three different kinds of sauces that my mom prepares for this festival. They are Paalu Undrallu ( milk undrallu ), Pappu Undrallu ( dal or lentil undrallu ) and Nuvvula Undrallu ( sesame undrallu ). Each variety of undrallu is associated with the sauce it is pampered in. Paalu undrallu is pampered with milk, pappu undrallu is undrallu dipped in toor dal and nuvvula undrallu is mixed with sesame and milk. Though the undrallu remains the same in each of these dishes, the taste differs from the rest and each version has its own uniqueness. So try all the versions and celebrate this Ganesha Chathurthi with your friends and family. If you have any other version of undrallu, please let me know in the comments section. I will be more than happy to include them in my blog.


Ingredients


Rice Flour 1 cup
Water 2 cups

Method


  1. Take water in a bowl and bring it to a boil.
  2. When the water is boiling, add the rice flour and simmer the flame immediately.
  3. Quickly mix in the dough very well such that it mixes well.
  4. Switch off the flame and cover with a lid.
  5. Rest until it becomes warm or cool.
  6. Now, mix the dough well again.
  7. Wet your hands, and start making small balls out of the rice flour dough until the dough is finished.
  8. Continue with different versions of the undrallu recipes - Milk Undrallu, Lentil Undrallu and Sesame Undrallu.

Notes


  • Always use fresh rice flour for best results.
  • You can use the store bought rice flour, but remember it should be fresh.
  • If the dough id too sticky, just wet your hands and continue making balls.
  • Do not allow the balls to dry out. Cover with a lid if you have to make them wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment