cardamom elaichi powder



Cardamom ( elaichi ) Powder Recipe / Homemade Green Cardamom Powder Recipe


 
cardamom powder recipe

Since the last post I have started posting the important ingredients that are necessary for the festive season. This calls for some advance preparations. In the last post, I have discussed the preparation of ghee which is very important for any sweet dishes. Today´s post is another recipe that makes our task easier during the making of Prasadam recipes for God. It also saves our time as well.  

cardamom powder


The next main ingredient for the festive dishes or Naivedhyam recipes is the elaichi powder or cardamom powder. My mom generally prepares this in advance and stores it in the refrigerator for future use. Doing it this way, saves our time while preparing any dish. Moreover, it becomes very difficult to grind cardamom in small quantities. So I prefer to prepare the homemade cardamom powder in advance and store it this way.

homemade elaichi powder recipe

Preparing cardamom powder is like a cakewalk. It is very easy and simple task that can be done in just a few minutes. The only time-taking work is peeling the skin of the cardamom. I usually peel the skin of the elaichi pods and separate the seeds from them. I just use the seeds for the preparation of the homemade elaichi powder. I do these kind of tasks while watching any of my favourite shows on the television. I also make use of the skin in other preparation which I will be discussing in another post. So do not throw away the peels of the cardamom pods.



Preparation




Peel the skin of the cardamom pods and separate the seeds.


Take the seeds in a mixie jar and ground to a coarse powder. 


Now add sugar and then grind to a fine powder.


Sugar is added to help grind to a fine powder. Once grounded, your kitchen will fill with the aroma of the cardamom powder. When I was preparing the elaichi powder, my daughter was amazed at the smell and she came running to the kitchen to find out what I was preparing for her. And she wanted to taste the powder itself.


Now, transfer this powder to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for months to come. Use it as and when needed. 

  
how to make cardamom powder at home



Ingredients




Cardamom pods 100g

Sugar 3 tbsp.



Method




  1. Peel the skin of the elaichi pods and separate the seeds.
  2. Grind the seeds to a coarse powder.
  3. Add sugar and grind them to a fine powder.
  4. Remove to an airtight container and preserve in the refrigerator for future use.



Notes




  • You can also grind it along with the skin but I prefer it this way as it gives more flavour when the skin is eliminated.
  • Do not throw away the peels of the cardamom, as they can be useful in other recipes which I will discuss in a later post.
  • Adding sugar will help us in attaining a fine powder. If you like the coarse powder, then you can grind to a coarse powder skipping the sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment